Government Programs To Help San Antonio Businesses And Job Seekers
The City of San Antonio recently opened a new community development office that is designed to aid local businesses in taking advantage of all of the economic opportunities available throughout the region.
Workforce Solutions Alamo, which is part of the Department of Defense’s Base Realignment and Closure program (BRAC), is part of an effort designed to revitalize Fort Sam Houston and East San Antonio, will help local residents learn about job opportunities at the Army post; the military is now consolidating and relocating its medical training mission to Fort Sam Houston, thereby providing residents with a plethora of job opportunities. The BRAC program is expected to generate more than billion dollars in the San Antonio economy.
In addition to providing jobs for residents of San Antonio, the BRAC program may also benefit local companies. In particular, the program will teach business owners about ways in which they can work with the Department of Defense.
The Positive Economic Impact
The economic impact on San Antonio is expected to be significant with the introduction of this new program. As a result, the Fort Sam Houston Community Development center will begin to bring general awareness of the program so that BRAC can ultimately provide new jobs and encourage business investment opportunities.
The BRAC program may help buoy along the San Antonio office space market, as an increase in jobs and business will mean an increase in demand for San Antonio office space.
Although the San Antonio office space market fared better than other metropolitan markets across the US, it nevertheless has experienced quite a hit over the last two years. Many industry experts are therefore banking on the success of the BRAC program to provide the San Antonio office space market with the jump start it needs.
The Boost in the San Antonio Economy
Once the BRAC construction is complete, the San Antonio economy is expected to improve by more than 150,000 qualified workers. The San Antonio economy should see a boost of nearly billion.
The mission of Workforce Solutions Alamo is to “build a premier workforce in America by providing employers and residents with the opportunities, resources and services to develop and gain a competitive edge in the global economy.”
The Workforce Solutions Alamo Board “serves as the governing board for the regional workforce system, a network of service providers and contractors that brings people and jobs together.” The program represents 12 counties in the Alamo region.
Some of the services provided by Workforce Solutions Alamo include:
• Recruiting, interviewing, and referring qualified job candidates
• Evaluate the trends in the current labor market, including average salary, projected industry growth, employment turnover rates, and other pertinent data
• Provide information on both labor and employment law
• Assist in providing information and access to different tax incentive programs
• Helping to coordinate training programs for incumbent workers
• Provide referrals for training programs and education opportunities
• Assist with individualized and hands-on training
• Provide information regarding relevant Texas employer training programs, including the Self-Sufficiency Fund and Skills Development Fund
• Help to place employees from companies that are closing, downsizing, or restructuring their workforce
Workforce Solutions Alamo is designed to bring together qualified workers with businesses. This program also helps businesses find ways to save money, to improve productivity and to find a competitive edge. Ultimately, it is the success of businesses through Workforce Solutions Alamo that will help propel the San Antonio office space market and the San Antonio economy in general.